Thursday, March 10, 2011

Throw Back Thursday

Last spring, our Alexia was showing signs that she needed glasses.

In we go to the eye doctor.

She is really hoping she gets glasses!

Sure enough, she needs glasses.

Lex was so excited.

The eye doc also referred us to a retina specialist.
:(

Lex said she had been having flashes.
Yikes.

Fortunately, all went well with our visit to the retina specialist.

AND there has been no more mention of flashes.

Phew.



***





This is right before we were leaving to go pick up her glasses we ordered.


So exciting!





Presenting Miss Alexia in her new glasses....






A few months after we got her glasses,

Target was doing an amazing promotion!

They were giving away kids glasses.

It's true.
Giving them AWAY!

I could hardly believe it myself.

So we jumped on this opportunity for an extra pair of glasses.


{Alexia's bday dinner @Red Robin}
Which I am so glad we did.


You see,


it didn't take long for the first pair to get


BrOkEn!


Lexi was bumped on the playground at school.


Down she went.


Crunch goes her glasses.











I try not to run forgotten items to the kids at school.


Lunches, ok.


Glasses, ok.


The glasses get left home a lot.


One particular morning Lexi calls from school,


"Mom, I forgot my glasses."


"Oh, and my library books. Can you bring those, too?"




Even with the school being close, it's not always convenient to run her glasses to her.


Sometimes Aliyah is already down for a nap.


Sometimes I'm still in my pj's with a bed head and no makeup.






On this particular occasion,


I tried to make it a positive experience for both of us.


{The girl likes her lips to shimmer.}
***

More exciting Alexia news....

in honor of her 8th birthday,

she got her ears pierced.

{Before}
Love this pic of Dyl on the other side of the glass.

He, of course, thought he was so clever.

{After}
As soon as we get in the car after the fun experience,

Lexi says, "Hey Mom, what about my soccer game tomorrow?"

**GASP**

You see, they aren't allowed to wear earrings or any jewelry while they play.
I tried to keep my cool.
"Oh, don't worry about, we'll figure something out."
I was really panicking inside.
The next day, Lex goes to her soccer game
with Rob and my dad
(my dad is always so good to come to several of my kids sports).
I stay home with sleeping Aliyah
and
to prepare for Miss Lexi's birthday party.
Rob calls and says,
"So I'm taking Lexi's earrings out."
What?
"You can't!!"
He says,
"I have to or she can't play her last game."
I try to not think about it.
It's out of my hands.
RIGHT!?
Rob calls later
I say,
"Hi, are you on your way home from the game?"
"Um, not necessarily the game."
Hmmm....
Intrigued but too busy rushing around to find out details.
A few minutes later, Lexi calls.
She's very giggly.
"Mom, Dad says I can tell you the secret."
Huh?
What secret?
"We went to the mall to get my ears pierced again."
Very funny, Lexi. You are such a jokester.
A few minutes later she walks in the door with
another
"I just got my ears pierced bag."
What!?
For reals?

Yes.
For reals.
After the first 15 minutes of playing soccer, Lexi sat out her turn.
Rob tried to immediately put her earrings back in.
No go.
It's true.
After 15 minutes, her holes already started to close in.
So crazy!
Another mom tried and tried to get those earrings in.
{I try not to think of all the dirty hands
touching Lexi's freshly opened ear lobe holes
Infection people! Infection!}


So Miss Lex, gets fresh holes in her ears.
With new earrings.
And another bag.
And more cleaning solution.

But wait....
there's more.
This story isn't over yet!
It just so happened that the 6 week waiting period to switch her earrings,
was over on the day we were going to
The Nutcracker.
She was so excited and had her dress and earrings all planned out.


That night, we take her earrings out for her to go to sleep.
Lex again had her dress and another pair of earrings all planned out for church the next day.
So exciting.
We wake up.
Rob's out of town in Hawaii with his siblings visiting his sick father.
I am rushing around trying to get everybody all pretty and out the door for
9 am church.
"Mom, can you help me put my earrings in."
"Yes! These are such pretty earrings."
"Ouch! Mom, that hurts!"
Her earrings would not go IN!!!
Once again, the holes started to close in over night.
WHAT?!
Lexi is DEVASTATED.
So with major tears rolling down Lexi's face, I drag the 4 kids out the door for church.


That next Saturday, we AGAIN go to Claire's to see what they have to say.
They were very kind.
For the THIRD time in 7 weeks, Alexia got her ears pierced.
We fortunately, only had to pay for ONE time.
Now,
nearly 4 1/2 months after Lexi's first ears piercing,
she still has the same earrings in.
Do you blame her?
She does not want to take them out.
So in her bedroom, in her new jewelry box from Santa,
sits several pairs of brand spankin' new earrings.
***
How are we ever going to convince her to switch them out?
***

2 comments:

CarrieLyn Guymon said...

Lexi:
I'm so glad you have glasses, too. I can't wait to see you so we can see each other in glasses.
Love,
Sophie

Rachel said...

I don't change my girls earrings for almost a year after they get them. laura has never had hers changed, but she is still 2.

The glasses are cute.