Thursday, June 4, 2009

Solitude

Solitude.

The meaning and depth of this word changed for me last year.

I had the opportunity to escape with Rob to a quaint little city in the mountains, Midway. Midway is just over an hour away from our home. In the 1860's, this mountain town attracted Swiss families with it's Swiss-like charm. There are several resorts and places to stay. The nearest shopping is about 30 minutes away.

Rob had a work conference to attend in this charming town. When he first presented the idea to me about escaping with him for the night, I of course jumped at the chance.

Then the work set in. Finding a place for the kids to stay. Packing everyone. Finalizing details. I was up late the night before our departure. I started wondering, "Why am I going? We have to drop the kids off at 6:30 AM! So early! I will see very little of Rob with him being busy with his conference schedule. What was I going to do? There are no nearby stores." Not much to do in this town, as far as I could tell.

Needless to say, I went.

The experience was a dream.

I experienced treasured solitude for the first time. I had hours to myself. Hours of uninterrupted thought. I got to do whatever my heart desired. I walked, read, napped, played on the computer. I didn't have any where I needed to be. I could eat a treat and not have three little cute people asking for a taste. I got to choose what I wanted to watch on TV.

Solitude.

I was able to spend lunch time with Rob. I enjoyed a great meal that evening with my hubby as we watched awards being presented and listened to a guest speaker. On the way home the next day, we stopped to watch a $1 movie.

Naturally, when the opportunity arose again this year for the same conference, I jumped at the chance to go.

Surprisingly, there again were thoughts of doubt that settled in my mind.

Since the kids would be staying at my sister's house, they would miss out on baseball practice, soccer games, and a church activity.

Oh, well. They'll survive. Yes, my common sense kicked in.

This time we were off to Park City.

We again had to drop the kids off at a dear friend's house at the early hour of 6:30 AM. (I have great friends!) Then we hit the road for another 2 days of solitude and treasured time with my hubby.
Being in Park City, I of course had to hit the outlets where I found great deals on some adorable I-can't-pass-you-up $5 and $7 dollar baby outfits.
Other than that bit of shopping, I experienced the same solitude as last year. Hours to myself.
Priceless.


Friday night as we were getting ready for the banquet, Rob realized he had forgotten some dress socks. Oops!
He looks at me and says, "What do you have for me?"
Huh?
"I didn't pack you any dress socks."
Rob responds with a smile, "I know, let me see your socks."
Serious?

Yes, he was serious.
Now those are some stylin' ankle socks, eh?
It was a good laugh, and it worked out well.
Earlier on Friday, there was a drawing for some fabulous prizes. I was in the room having a fantastic nap during this time.
Ring ring.
It's Rob.
He says,"Hey, you just won a prize!"
"I did! What?"
Behold, my prize!


Love it!:)
We have since sipped all of the sparkling cider. Placed the glassware in the cupboard with our other fine wine glasses and as for the oh-so-heavy cement art piece.......it sits nice and pretty in our back yard as fabulous garden art.
At this point, we're not sure if the conference is in our cards for next year. Even if it is, we'll have a precious baby in tow. That kind of changes the whole solitude experience. Nonetheless, I am a very lucky girl for being able to experience heavenly solitude for two years in a row.

I'd like to propose a toast with my new fine glassware and sparkling apple cider. Cheers to hours of uninterrupted thought and time to myself. And wishing all of YOU your own kind of priceless solitude, whatever it might be. (clink!)

4 comments:

Lisa Sprague said...

Sounds like heaven on earth to me! I LOVE the ankle socks too! Hilarious! Cheers to the solitude! Clink!

Melanie said...

You lucky duck - I don't remember the last time I experienced that kind of "alone time".... but YOU totally deserve it right now (poor LITTLE -not big- prego lady)!!!

Becca said...

Jamie, you expect me to believe that you swapped out the wine for sparkling cider. I know you are cooking with any. Any self-respecting mormon cooks with a little liquer now and then. Hee hee.

houseofdrama said...

Lucky I am jealous. What a perfect thing to do before that baby comes. Happy birthday to you in May I hope you had a good one. We haven't gotten together forever we need to soon.