Thursday, April 29, 2010

One good thing...

Awwww......Spring.

The greens of daffodils and tulips s.l.o.w.l.y show their beauty above the cold ground. Ever so quietly they come out of hibernation. The anticipation of the grand opening of the blooms is almost as fun as Disneyland. Okay, not really, but I do anxiously await.

The daffodils decide to beat the tulips at their beauty contest and flaunt their pale yellows first.

Then it seems the tulips take their sweet time.
Waiting.
And waiting.
Oh, well hello little pretties! It seems one morning they decide to show their glory and tulips, of all colors, open up all at once.
But wait! This is springtime in Utah we're talking about.
That means after a couple of days of warm happy sun, a crazy rain/snow/hail/wind storm decides to roar in. Sometimes multiple.
That's exactly what happened last week.

My sad shredded spring flowers were victims of this year's vicious spring weather.
Good bye little pretties.
I realized one morning there is ONE good thing about this disliked spring weather.

That's right! Boot weather! The happiness doesn't necessarily come from the boots themselves, you see.
Mornings are rushed when you're trying to get everyone out the door. That's just part of life with kids, right?
This particular morning, I open my drawer to grab some socks.
Dang.
No socks.
I rush over to my overflowing laundry basket of clean clothes and begin the search.
One sock.
Found a different sock.
Come on! Where's a match?
Ding! Ding!
No match.
Just the realization that I was going to slip on my boots which means.....
Yup. Who needs a matching pair of socks when you've got boots?
Yes, even a candy cane sock.
It is snowing, so why not!
Even small things, such as mismatched socks, that help my mornings go more smoothly brings HaPpInEsS!
After starting this post four hours ago, I'm finally finishing it. In the course of these four hours, I have been again reminded of something else that makes me truly happy amidst this unpredictable spring weather.
Good health.
Every day I thank my Father in Heaven for my good health, for my husband's good health, and my children's good health.
About an hour ago, I got off the phone with a friend. On Friday, she was diagnosed with MS.
You just never know.
I cherish good health.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I feel HAPPY after reading this post. And I find I am wearing Christmas socks in the springtime as well. How funny. Thank you for making the spring at the top of this post in different colors. Thank you for sharing your flowers. Sorry they got masacered (sp). Miss those Charlie's Angels boots. Miss you! Sorry about your friend. I am out!