Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

For Family Night on Sunday night, our family discussed Martin Luther King Jr. and his dream. We also watched part of his "I Have a Dream" speech. I was so happy with what the kids had remembered from school and other times we've discussed Civil Rights issues.
Today, on the actual MLK holiday, we did a little role play activity as a family. Parker's amazing kindergarten teacher did this one day when I was volunteering in the classroom. I was so happy that I got to witness such a neat experience with Parker's class. Sarah was so kind to email me some details on the role play to refresh my memory. It would have been even better with her here participating with us. Maybe next time, eh Sarah.:)

I had the kids close their eyes. Then I randomly taped either a black circle on them or a white circle (Sarah used necklaces). We then role played what it was like for "blacks" and "whites" to ride the bus. The "blacks" got on the bus, paid their money and then got off the bus to go to the rear entrance of the bus where they were allowed to sit in the back, "neutral" section, or stand. The "whites" of course, got on the bus, paid and proceeded to a seat, kicking a "black" person out of their seat if needed.
This is our bus.....where's Parker you ask? He was protesting......more details to come.

The bus then took the passengers to a "white" school and a "black" school. I transformed the living room into the schools. The white school had a piano, nice shiny books and toys, a pretty baby, and an art easel. I had sectioned off a small area for the black school in the corner of the room. The black school had one ripped up book that was missing its cover, a batman toy with missing legs, a McDonald like toy, and a case for blocks that was empty. The "blacks" went to their school and the "whites" went to theirs. We talked about how the "blacks" often times had separate entrances into buildings, separate bathrooms, and couldn't drink from the same water fountains as the "whites".

We did the role play twice so that each person had a chance to be both colors. We talked about how they felt being "black" versus "white". I was in the "black" school with Dyl and sad about the school items we had. He was soon sad with me and said, "It's a horrible day."

Now lets back up to Parker's story. I had asked the kids to go upstairs and play in their rooms while I got things ready. All they knew was we were doing a MLK activity. When Parker came down and saw my "school bus" he instantly knew what we were doing. "Hey, I did this in kindergarten, I'm not doing this again!" I knew Parker would recognize at some point the activity, but didn't know if it would be so soon! Kindergarten was three years ago for him, so this activity obviously left an impression. Parker thankfully decided to give it another try. However, he was bugged the moment he looked down and saw a black circle taped to his shirt. But he grudgingly got onto the bus in the neutral section. Rob, a "white" then gets on the bus and notices there are no empty seats. So he tells Parker he needs to move so he can sit down. This sent Parker into tears and he stomped out of the room. Alrighty then! Another family activity meant for learning and improving ourselves back fires! Lexi was also in tears at some point. Oh! Can you feel the love?

Lexi was easy to calm but we had to continue the activity without Parker. He still hung around the area to listen and watch. After we each had a turn to be both colors, the kids then wanted to take turns being the bus driver. Parker then decided to join us. Better late than never, right? The kids made some changes to our role play. Changes that made me happy and feel like, "Hallelujah! They are learning something!" They decided that everyone should be able to sit where ever they wanted. The "blacks" did not have to go to the rear entrance of the bus. When we got to "school", they took down the "wall" that was separating the two schools and opened up both areas to both colors. I say, "Hallelujah" again!

Long story short: this activity of course did not go as well as I had hoped. However, in the end, I know that the kids did learn and feel something. Therefore, it was worth doing.

It's a relief to see the progress that has been made in America regarding race. However, I still feel there's room for improvement. Hopefully positive changes will continue.

Thank you Sarah for sharing your fantastic idea with me and my family! Next time hopefully you can join us.;)

3 comments:

The Wheelers said...

I love this idea! Can you send me an email that Sarah sent you with the basic layout? I would never have thought to do this, so thank you for posting!

Sarah Hamblin said...

What a great idea! Sounds like it really made an impression on your kiddos.

The Hiller Family said...

Awesome! Sounds like something a two year old would dismiss, but it's a great one to keep in mind for anything in the future!!