Monday, January 26, 2009

That's not wax!

A few days after Christmas, Parker got croup. He's always been my croupie child, but in the past couple of years has seem to be out growing it. YES! We are usually able to manage his croup at home using different techniques including a nebulizer, but our medicine for the nebulizer had expired. After a long and painful night, I took him in to the doctors the next morning. Turns out he also had strep--GOOD THING we went in! But there was something else the doctor also discovered. As the doc was checking Parker's ears, he made a comment about some wax being in the way. So he retrieved a tool to help him pull out the wax. Soon the doc was saying, "Um, this isn't wax!" He pulled a piece of orange eraser out of Parker's ear! Parker acted as if he knew nothing about it. The doctor gave him the benefit of the doubt and said that it wasn't actually uncommon for kids to lie down and get something lodged in their ear. Alright. Fine. I was still extremely suspicious, however, having recently pulled something out of Parker's ear myself. The doctor goes to look in the other ear. Hmmm. Something else is obstructing the ear canal. What could this be? After a fair amount of digging and Parker squealing and squirming, the doc pulls out something else. "Paper." the doc says. Parker says, "No, it's tape." A-ha! BUSTED. P Diddy is guilty!

What the heck?
On the way home, Parker got his fair share of quizzing. I just was baffled. I finally stopped the questions and came to the conclusion that the whole digging-them-out-of-his-ear experience was pretty miserable for him. Hopefully that will be enough for Parker to not get creative with his ear stuffing again!

4 comments:

Becca said...

Yeah, first comment, let me be the first to say thank you for including the waxy paper and eraser picture. I don't know why, but ear wax is so nasty to me. That is a riot Jamie. Oh how I miss P diddy. Gavin and Parker are so similar in so many ways. (That's a good thing)

Bruce and Mitzi said...

Holy cow! I can't believe he fit those in his ear! Kids are sure creative, huh? I hope he gets better soon.

MadMadameMim said...

we have had our round with orifice fixations ourselves. It is an interesting and perplexing topic to me. Kids are just weird sometimes. Thats all I've got.

LuAnn said...

That is hilarious.