Friday, February 19, 2010

A Decade

A decade.

Ten years is quite a chunk of time. Many things happen in this amount of time. Good and bad. Happy and sad. Challenges come. Triumphs prevail. My precious baby boy, my first born, grows up to be a whopping 10 years old.


3 weeks old

Sadly the day of my firstborn's birth was not a happy day. In fact, it was quite possibly the most heartbreaking day of my life. There were complications. I had to have a c-section. For the next few days we listened to doctors tell us how horrible things might be for our new little bundle. There were lots of prayers. A priesthood blessing. More prayers. Prayers that came from broken hearted first time parents. Prayers that came from family and friends that were hundreds of miles away. Prayers that came from family that were thousands of miles away.

The day came for me to take my sore body home. I left the hospital with empty arms, sobbing.

I spent the next 10 days dashing to the hospital first thing every morning. Rob would join us after work. We'd stay as late as we possibly could before we returned home to try to get some sleep.
I believe in prayer. I believe in miracles.
On December 20, 1999, we brought our new bundle home.
6 months


P Diddy went through a couple of physical therapy stints for the first 18 months of his life.

18 months


First day of kindergarten

Now, with no signs of trauma, you would never even know Parker had such a distressing start.

Baptism day


I believe in prayer. I believe in miracles.
We celebrated Parker's big 10 in true Donigan style. Parker loves our birthday traditions. I love that he loves them. I love him.




P Diddy enjoyed a late night (school night even!) at the movies with his dad and a friend to see Harry Potter.
I thank my Heavenly Father every day for my boy. He has added spice to my life with flavor that I never knew existed. He has caused emotions that I never knew I could feel. He has brought challenges that I sometimes wonder if I can conquer. He has helped me grow in ways I didn't know were possible.

A decade.

Ten years is quite a chunk of time. Many things happen in this amount of time. Good and bad. Happy and sad. Challenges come. Triumphs prevail. My precious baby boy, my firstborn, grows up to be a whopping 10 years old.
I believe in prayer. I believe in miracles.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Amen Sister! Very well put! I am curious about your birthday traditions.

Karen and Adam said...

What a lucky kid to have a mom as stinkin' awesome as you! I sure look up to you, lady!